Jackson

From NBWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

William Jackson & Sons

Warlingham, Surrey. Also at 1a Caroline St. Eaton Sq. London S.W.

W Jackson. From Post Office Directory 1874, courtesy of David Stirling

William Jackson used to work at the Newton Wilson Company. He showed his first machine at the Paris Expo in 1867. Then he made a model called the Automaton. Surplus machines of the first type were bought by James Weir in 1872.

Jackson also made a machine called the Duchess of Edinburgh and a boot sole machine.

There is a connection with the Bradbury company.

When Charles Bradbury (stepson of George Bradbury who founded the Bradbury company) left Bradbury's in 1883, Charles had been working as Bradbury's London Manager.

His position was taken over by James A. Jackson: see Death of Charles Bradbury

(This James A Jackson is not to be confused with John B Jackson, who was the Manager of Bradbury's Manchester Depot until 1888!)

In 1904 James A Jackson resigned from working for Bradbury (perhaps he had seen the writing on the wall for their unsteady financial situation at that time?).

In 1905 William Jackson died. He was the brother of James A Jackson, who worked for Bradbury. There are many people who stayed in the same kind of business circles in those days.

William Jackson was 51 and died of Bright's disease. He had recently been involved with the leather trade, but had previously worked for Jones, Bradbury, George Whight & Co (Hermann Loog from Frister & Rossmann had worked for Whight), as well as Ivey and Ledington.

Jackson Machines

Jackson First Type

From the Harry Berzack Museum.

Courtesy of Claire Sherwell