Bremer & Bruckmann

From NBWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Main Page Index / German Makers Index


Bremer & Bruckmann

Brunswick, Germany

Bremer & Bruckman

Original Brunonia

Original Brunonia Logo


Courtesy of Melissa

Serial #39397

c1881-82


Serial #65746

Courtesy of Marco Trapp

Made c1885-86 with the earlier form of cast iron base.


Courtesy of Ursel Niggemann

Original Brunonia, hand version


Courtesy of Ludger Halbur

Original Brunonia, treadle version


Serial #85080 (under slide plate)

Courtesy of Rooste

1885-1886. A simpler and later style.


Liliput L

Serial #36352

Courtesy of Marco Trapp

Made between 1888-1894. This machine isn't a toy, but is very small.


Conquest?

Serial #138556

Courtesy of Mike West

The machine's paw feet are detachable.


Brunonia A

Serial #158333

Courtesy of Mike

This machine was badged for sale by Collier.


Courtesy of Claire Sherwell

Although Collier's weren't as widespread or as well known as, for example, W J Harris, Collier is a company with a long history. The Collier motto was Swift & Sure.

Here's a write-up from the trade press of the time.

There are few domestic machinery dealers in the Metropolis so well known or as respected as J Collier and Sons, of 134-142 Clapham Road SW and branches. The business was started by the late Mr J Collier as a draper's, and after a few years the agency for Whight and Mann's Excelsior sewing machines was added, followed by agencies for Howe, Wheeler & Wilson, Willcox & Gibbs and others.

In the course of time the drapery department was given up, and the two sons, Messrs J E and C H Collier, were taken into partnership, and a small branch opened at Putney.

In 1886 the original shop at 136 Clapham Road was pulled down, also three adjoining shops, and all re-built as one large depot. A few years later branches were opened at Merton, Peckham, and Balham, and two shops adjoining the Clapham Road depot were added to the business.

In 1893 Mr J Collier, the founder, died and Mr J B Keevil was taken into partnership in 1905.

In 1902 the firm started to sell household furniture in addition to domestic machinery, and musical instruments, and they built showrooms for this purpose covering an area of 11,500 square feet.

In 1905 a branch was opened at 76 High Street, Hammersmith W, with showrooms of 4,500 square feet.

Forum Topic



Atlas A

Made for the Atlas Company, Camden Town

Courtesy of Lee King.

Atlas B was made by Grimme Natalis. Atlas C and D were made by New Home.